Your goal for playing tennis is to play well
- Familiarize yourself with the rules of tennis this so that you can stick up for yourself when disputes arise. Download and read USTA handbook Friend of the court.
- Arrive at the site of the tournament 30 minutes ahead of the scheduled time.
- Ask for the tournament desk
- Check in the event ( let the tournament staff know that you have arrived. You may get a T-shirt, bag tag or some other player gift.
Play with a desire to win.
- Realize that being nervous during a match is natural. Your opponent is also nervous.
- Don’t stand rooted to one spot; keep your feet moving.
- Don’t talk negatively to yourself. Give yourself credit for going for the shot.
- Don’t over power the ball adapt your aggressiveness to the score.
- Study your opponent for weaknesses and exploit them
- When you make an error ask yourself “What’s important now (WIN)”
- Use your logical mind to overpower counterproductive emotions (more…)